For Complete Denture Care and Repair
Maintaining your oral health and properly caring for your dentures will ensure your false teeth have an extended lifespan that will require only minor denture repairs. Rosanna Denture Clinic ’s Dental Prosthetist services the greater Melbourne community and is available for personalised consultation.
How Often Should I Clean My Dentures?
- It is important to treat your false teeth as you should treat your natural teeth. They must be kept as clean as possible to prevent inflamed gums, bacterial and fungal infections or further tooth loss.
- We recommend that you clean your dentures as you would your natural teeth, twice a day and after eating when necessary. Always remove your dental plates for cleaning and ensure you also massage your gums to stimulate blood circulation.
How Do I Care For A Metal Denture?
- Many commercial cleaning products may damage metal dentures, so if you have a metal denture, our Melbourne based Dental Prosthetist will discuss the cleaning options available to you at your appointment. If your acrylic denture has metal clasps you need to take particular care when cleaning.
What is the Best Way to Clean my Dentures?
- We recommend using mild soap and warm water to gently yet effectively clean the denture.
- To avoid the need for accidental denture repairs, always clean your dental appliances over a bowl of water or a folded towel in case you drop them.
- Ensure to rinse your false teeth thoroughly before soaking to help remove any food debris. Using an effervescent (fizzy) denture cleaner will help remove stubborn stains and leave your denture feeling fresher. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If you need to brush your dentures, be careful not scrub too hard as this may cause grooves in the surface thereby allowing stains or plaque to build up. Make sure you clean all the surfaces of the dental plate, including the surface which touches your gums. This is especially important if you use any kind of adhesive.
- Do NOT clean your false teeth with tooth paste.
Are there special products I should use?
- There are some specialist products available for cleaning your false teeth, including special brushes, ultrasonic cleaners, cleaning pastes and soaking solution. However, you should use these carefully and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Which Cleaner Should I Use?
- There are different cleaning products available for your false teeth. We recommend the use of an effective cleaning solution. Some take only a few minutes, are inexpensive and readily available. Look for one that contains active ingredients to break down the plaque, thereby removing the debris as opposed to some cleaners that merely bleach the stains without removing them. Always ensure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Should Dental Plates be Removed at Night?
- We recommend removing your dentures at least twice a day to allow massaging of the supporting tissue thereby encouraging adequate blood flow to that tissue. However, we appreciate that you may not wish to leave your dental plates out for extended periods, so during your cleaning routines simply massage the supporting tissue.
- Some people build up tarter on their dentures just as they would on their natural teeth. If plaque is not removed properly it can react with your saliva and harden into tarter. As with your own teeth, you will not be able to remove this tarter completely yourself and eventually it can make dental appliances uncomfortable and unsightly. We can remove this tarter in our laboratory using a professional cleaning machine.
Which Cleaners Should I Avoid?
- It is important not to use any type of bleaching product, ammonia-based cleaners, abrasives or very hot water to clean your dentures. Bleaching can lead to weakening of the surface and will damage its appearance. The use of an ammonia or abrasive will remove the glossy surface allowing stains to build up whilst very hot water can distort your dental plates thereby affecting the fit. If this happens to you, please consult our Dental Prosthetist who will happily assist with denture repairs.
My Dentures are Stained What Can I Do?
- Like natural teeth, false teeth are vulnerable to staining by everyday habits. This is especially true if you smoke or drink a lot of tea, coffee or red wine. In most cases you should be able to remove this staining with regular cleaning. However, more stubborn stains may take a little more cleaning and we are happy to provide advice to help you.
How Do I Care For A Soft Lining?
- People who have sensitive gums may have a resilient softer lining made for their dental appliance. If you have one of these special linings, we will provide individual aftercare advice to make sure you are aware of what cleaning products or fixatives to use.
For personalised care advice for your specific situation call our Melbourne based Dental Prosthetist today. Allow us to guide you through the most appropriate maintenance and cleaning regimen to increase the life and look of your dental plates and avoid the necessity of denture repairs.Call today on (03) 9458 1199.